Candle Making and Soap Making
Posted by Deborah Ward on April 5th, 2013 in bath and body, candle fragrance oils, candle making supplies, candle molds, candle wicking, Natures Garden Fragrance Oils, Soap making supplies | Comments Off
1. What’s your name & Your Company Name: Valerie Ann King, Sea Maiden’s Creations
2. Why did you decide to go into business? In 2001 my husband and I lived in Upstate NY where I was born and raised. That summer we had decided to take a much-needed, long weekend to the Amish country in Pennsylvania, the beautiful state where my husband was born and raised. We went to a Country Candle store where in the basement we watched Amish women make taper candles using large vats of melted wax and other equipment. I was fascinated. What was just as appealing were the grubby style molded candles on the first floor. I spent a small fortune. That was the beginning of my obsession. When we came home, before even unpacking, I got on my computer to search and research candle making. The Very first site to come up in my Google search was Natures Gardens Candle Supply, where I placed my first order. The very first thing I ordered was the votive making kit and fragrance oils samples. My first love was molded candles. What was your motivation? My love for crafting, the Amish trip and Natures Garden. At the time, NG had a forum and it was amazing to be a part of. Tons of information to be had. I quickly branched out to learn mp and cp soap making and also I have my own line of silicone molds, as during that time of researching decided to start making them as well. At this time I concentrate on CP soap, but love making it all!! My passion for crafting comes from generations of crafters in my family. How long have you been in business? Since Oct. 2001. My husband made my very first website featuring all of my creations. It was and still is very exciting!
3. What products do you make and sell? I make and sell CP soap, MP soap, Soy Container candles, and Paraffin Pillar candles, and Melts. I adore piping cold process soap, so I offer a lot of cupcake soaps, cake soaps, and loaf soaps. I make anything from the plainest unscented lard and castile soap to very elegant cakes. I will be wholesaling all of my products very soon!
4. What are your business goals? My business goals are to of course, just keep growing. It’s not easy as the candle and soap making markets are saturated from when I started in 2001. But when there is a will, a passion and love for it, there is a way! Although, my website does not reflect all that I do at this time, because I haven’t the time to update it as much as I should, I am always testing for as close to perfection as I can get with every attention to detail.
5. What are some products you use from Natures Garden? I use a ton of their fragrance oils. I have too many to list that are my favorites and the list keeps growing. Because we live in Florida, I take advantage of the wonderful FO’s, soaping oils, powders, molds, wicking, packaging and the list is always growing, as they continue to grow. They were my first supplier and I will always be a customer!
Your Website: www.seamaidenscreations.com
Twitter: In process.