Kid Friendly Craft
Anytime I get out all of my goodies to start crafting, my little ones are all about helping. Sometimes I think that they love creating and crafting just as much as I do! (Yeah for me, I passed on the right genes!!!) This past weekend I thought it would be fun for them to help me make and decorate some smelly jellies for our Spring baskets, and as it turns out, they even taught me something.
Having two small children, I can count on family members showering them with gifts around any holidays. As a thank you to them, I always make sure that the girls help me to make them something to give in return. I love this concept for several different reasons. They are learning to become crafters themselves, we have lots of fun working on these projects together, and people love to receive gifts that the little ones helped to make.
There we were working away on making a dozen or so smelly jellies in my kitchen. All of the smelly jellies were completely finished absorbing, and I had just finished packaging them. The fitments and lids were on tight. My final step was to tie the festively colored pastel ribbons of white, pink, blue, and yellow to the tops. (Secret Frugal Tip: The Dollar Tree is a wonderful place to find lots of cute, decorative, and perfectly priced items (Everything is $1.00) to add that extra element of love to your products.)
I swear, and as I am sure that you all know, I only turned my back for a second which was just long enough for my youngest to swipe a jar. When I finally found her, she had already gone to town adding her own decorative touch to the jar. As it turns out, she said she wanted to make one special for her Grandmama. Riley had used some Spring stickers to “decorate” her grandmama’s smelly jelly. It was just so adorable that I thought that I needed to share this with everyone!
So, moms and kids, get ready to have some fun and get crafty! CAUTION: Anytime you are using fragrance oils around your children or pets, keep a close eye on your children so that they do not drink the fragrance oil.
Here is the list of items that you need:
- Natures Garden Smelly Jelly Crystals
- Natures Garden Easter Bunny Burps Fragrance Oil
- Natures Garden Lilac Fragrance Oil
- Natures Garden Jelly Bean Fragrance Oil
- Natures Garden Fun Soap Colorants- Neon Green, Ultramarine Violet, Yelp Yellow
- Natures Garden Diamond Dust Mica
- Natures Garden Smelly Jelly Jars
- Measuring Utensils
- Room Temperature Distilled Water
- Spring Themed Stickers
- Curling ribbon- pastel: white, pink, blue, yellow
Here are the Instructions:
- Clean your work area and prep it by setting up all of the smelly jelly jars that you are going to use. For this project, we are using 3 fragrances, so I selected to set my jars up in 3 rows of 4 to allow for no fragrance confusion.
- Take 2 level teaspoons of smelly jelly crystals and carefully add them to each jar.
- Using room temperature distilled water. Add 10 ounces to each jar.
- The next step is to add the soap colorant to the jars. Since I was striving for a pastel color, I only added 2-3 drops of color per jar.
- Here is the cheat sheet that I used for the coloring:
- Easter Bunny Burps- Neon Green
- Lilac- Fun Soap Colorant Ultramarine Violet
- Jelly Beans- Fun Soap Colorant Yelp Yellow
5. As always, feel free to be creative and swap out the colors and/or the fragrance oils.
6. It is fragrance time! Using 1.5 Tablespoons of fragrance, slowly pour your fragrance into each jar.
7. Add the Diamond Dust Mica- the amount of sparkle is all up to you!
8. It is time to get your mix on! Using a mixing spoon, carefully mix each jar.
9. Let the smelly jellies work their magic and swell away. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
10. Finally place the fitment and lid on the jars.
11. The last step and most fun… get your decorating on. Use stickers and ribbon, or whatever you want!
Smelly jellies are by far one of my favorite projects to make by myself or with my girls. If you have not tried them, you need to try some today. Your best bet, although I know you are going to love it… is to try Natures Garden Smelly Jelly Kit.
Fragrance & Fun for Everyone
Inspire, Create, and Dominate!
(Corporate Manager of Natures Garden Candle Supplies)