Candle Safety Rules
Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Keep burning candles away from paperwork on your desk, near drapery, near bedding, or anything thing else that can catch fire easily.
Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Keep burning candles away from areas where children or pets may reach them.
Trim candlewicks to 1/4 inch each time before burning. Keep wicks upright. Wicks that are bent over will cause a candle to burn hotter than normal.
Always use a candleholder specifically designed for candle use. The candle holder needs to be made of material that can withstand the temperature of a burning candle, sturdy enough not to tip over when candle is burning, and large enough to hold the size of the candle.
Be sure the candleholder is placed on a heat-resistant surface. Candle holders should be placed on a surface that can withstand high temperatures. Surfaces that cannot withstand high temperatures may become damaged if the candle holder breaks or becomes too hot.
Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
Do not burn a candle longer than the manufacturer recommends. Do not burn a candle longer than one half hour at a time; making sure that the wick is kept trimmed at all times.
Never leave a burning candle unattended. Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep.
Keep burning candles away from any drafts or fans.
Always burn candles in a well-ventilated room.
Do not burn too many candles in a small room or in a small home where air exchange is limited.
Never attempt to move a candle while it is burning.
Never touch hot candle wax.
Place burning candles at least three inches apart.
This ensures they will not melt one another, or create drafts that can cause the candles to flare.
Use a snuffer to extinguish a candle. It is the safest way to prevent hot wax splatters.
Never extinguish candles with water.
The water can cause the hot wax to splatter and might cause a glass container to break.
Be very careful if using candles during a power outage. Flashlights and other battery powered lights are safer sources of light during a power failure.
Make sure a candle is completely extinguished and the wick is no longer glowing before leaving the room.
Extinguish a candle if it flickers repeatedly, smokes, or the flame becomes too high. The candle isn't burning properly. Let it cool, trim the wick, check for drafts and then re-light.
Never use a candle as a night light.
Do not burn a candle all the way down. Stop burning a candle when there is one half inch of candle wax left in the container.
Purchase a Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher and keep it in the area where you will be making candles. Never try to put out a wax fire with water. Wax fires need to be extinguished with baking soda or with a dry chemical fire extinguisher.