Recently a great question was posted on Natures Garden’s Facebook Page. We thought that this was such a good question that we wanted to make a blog post about it.
The question was, “What scents work best in candles?” Looking for the best candle scents can be quite a task. You want to ensure that the candle has both a great cold throw (the smell of the candle when it is not lit) and hot throw (the smell of the candle when it it lit and has a wet pool.) As always, testing is key. However, to help in the quest for best candle scents, we turned to the pros. We asked our candle making friends on Facebook to give us their suggestions and input on what they thought were the best candle scents. The responses we received were plentiful and very helpful. To all of the candle makers that shared your input, thank you very much.
After reviewing, researching, and calculating the information, we complied a list of the top 20 best candle scents. These scents are listed in no particular order. Complimenting each candle scent suggestion is a customer review on their personal experience with the fragrance oil in a candle.
1. 7 UP Pound Cake Scent– “This FO is soooo good. We use it in soy wax, and it is beautiful and strong. It is very popular with our customers. We are so in love with this fragrance!!”
2. Apple Orchard Scent– “Fantastic cold/hot throw in soy. Clean, crisp, classic red apple scent without the spice. I’m sure this one will be a favorite year-round. Used 1 oz per lb of 100% soy.”
3. Black Cherry Bomb Scent– “This black cherry is definitely the bomb. I made a soy candle and was very pleased with the cold and hot throw of this fragrance.”
4. Blueberry Cobbler Scent– “I went out on a limb and bought a sample of this one. I didn’t like it right out of the bottle. Tried it in Natures Garden Soy Wax and it was LOVELY! Amazing scent throw with this one. Will buy again.”
5. Blueberry Muffin Scent– “This fragrance is AMAZING. Really fills the room in a soy candle. Please do not ever stop making this fragrance.”
6. Bite Me Scent– “Wonderful cold and hot throw in soy. Cured for only 24 hours and it had an awesome throw. Love it!”
7. Cashmere Type Scent– “This Cashmere is awesome! I just love the floral and sweet notes in it. It’s very sensual. I used in soy wax. It has a great cold and hot throw. Love it!”
8. Coco Mango Scent-“ This is a great summer scent! The coconut & mango in it have a strong throw in my soy candles. This fragrance has a stronger throw than most. I have many requests for it. This fragrance is a must have!”
9. Country Bumpkin Scent– “Really a great fall fragrance. Strong! Threw hot and cold. I swear you could smell all the wonderful layers to this fragrance. Used in a paraffin soy blend 1.5 oz.”
10. Eucalyptus Spearmint Scent– “I used this scent in candles. The scent is wonderful. Spearmint is a natural mood up lifter, burning this candle makes life easier.”
11. Fresh Linen Scent– “This is a best seller for me. If you are looking for a crisp, clean scent, then this is for you. Excellent cold and hot throw in 100% soy.”
12. (NG) Island Fresh (Gain) Type Scent– “The first day I debuted this fragrance my customers absolutely loved it! Smells just like the real thing and has a strong wonderfully fresh scent. I would highly recommend to all other candle makers.”
13. Lick Me All Over Scent– “It’s another “sleeper” It’s okay in the bottle, but once its in 100% soy its AWESOME! I used hot pink dye and its perfect. I’ve already had customers wanting this in everything from candles to bath and body products.”
14. Lilac Scent– “My customers can’t get enough of this. It is a true lilac scent. Excellent scent throw both hot and cold.”
15. (NG) Loving Spell Scent– “This is my number one seller of all. I purchase multiples of this scent each time. Scent throw is amazing and it smells just like V.S. Lovespell. If you don’t have this one you’re missing out!”
16. Monkey Farts Scent– “Monkey Farts fragrance is outstanding! Banana scent POPS! I used in Ecosoya CB Advanced Pure Soy, 1 Pound & 1 oz. Monkey Farts. 48 Hours cure time the cold throw was good. In 4 Days cure time, the Cold and Hot throw was AWESOME!!! Very Strong.”
17. Peppermint Patty Scent– “I was surprised on how this smelled the real thing. Love it. This is going into my collection. Used in 100% Soy wax. Great hot and cold scent throw.”
18. Pink Sugar Type Scent– “Amazing FO! Warm & sweet, but romantic and slightly feminine. Does smell of cotton candy, but so much more complex. Great throw in soy, both hot and cold. Love it, love it, love it!”
19. Red Hot Cinnamon Scent– “This is a must have. This is just like the candy. Used in soy wax. Excellent scent throw.”
20. Sweet Orange Chili Pepper Scent– “This FO is really fantastic. Powerful orange citrus scent with a spicy kick. Very unique. I used this in soy 464 and a parasoy blend and both had outstanding cold and hot throws.”