1. What’s your name & Your Company Name: Vintage Hills Smoking Barrel & Candle Co. LLC owned and operated by Jason & Shannon Hancock
2. Why did you decide to go into business? What was your motivation? How long have you been in business? Jason is a craftsman and exhibit designer/builder. He decided to start making functional art and meat smokers out of wine barrels. I enjoy making candles and we decided to merge the two ideas and create structures to hold candles and the make several types of candles and art pieces. We love vintage creations and unique designs. Our business address is on Vintage Hills Dr so the idea to bring the two together was very natural and was the motivation for our business name and idea. Our Motto: Wine Barrel, Culinary, and Candle creations that represent the rich heritage of the South ~ Custom Oak Wine Barrel Meat and Veggie Smokers, Gourmet Servers, Wall Decor, Candle Holder Staves, Glass Candles, Votives, and melts. We both have full-time careers so we started it off as a hobby and experiment and opened our business as an LLC on September 13, 2012.
3. What products do you make and sell? Each wine barrel product from Vintage Hills Smoking Barrel & Candle Co. is handcrafted by Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana native, Jason Hancock, on Hancock Ranch surrounded by the vineyards and forest of the Brazos Valley, Texas. All of our environmentally friendly up-cycled wood pieces are made completely out of beautiful American and French oak wine barrels, and, when available cognac barrels. Jason’s goal is to build distinctive, unique, high quality wood products for the wine, candle, and culinary enthusiast. Every craft will be a unique topic of conversation in your home, your ranch, your business, or in a winery.
Vintage Hills Smoking Barrel & Candle Co. products are sold finely finished and are 100% made from the parts of each barrel. Each piece is made from quality materials with the highest standards. Every wood product goes through a variance of stages of sanding, top quality stain application, protective finishes, glues, and hardware.
Our very functional oak wine barrel smokers will cook meat and vegetables. We also create gourmet culinary server barrel head board and stave trays, sacoche de selles (pannier baskets), milieu ambiance stave candle holders for tea light, double stave Libbey candle bowl sets, and stave crosses.
Jason also does custom counter tops and cabinetry, exhibits and air brush design, and vintage auto restoration.
Candles are hand-poured by Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi native Shannon Hancock on Hancock Ranch; and all of our wax blends are 100% top-quality soy and soy blends with the finest of soy wicks and treated wood wicks. All of our premium custom fragrance oils we use are phthalate-free, manufactured in the USA, not tested on animals, and comply with the strictest global RIFM and IFRA standards.
The historical three state series line of Culture Eternal Candles by the Vintage Hills Smoking Barrel & Candle Co. is a tribute to the long standing testament of our southern states of the Deep South and Southwest and the mysterious and enriching journey and legacy of our ancestors to where we are today. Our candles are for anywhere in the home and feature a signature, kitchen, wine, and healing spa collection.
We feature a baby shower series, a wedding and bridal shower series, and can whip up some pristine custom candle and stave beauty for your special occasion party/event with bulk pricing. We also have wholesale pricing for vendors.
4. What are your business goals? New Product Development: We will be and introducing clay pottery containers and creating a French Providence and Navajo inspired Rustic Pillar Series that will adhere to a mobile double stave candle holder, more spa pieces with essential oils and Bachelorette Party spa lotion candles partnering with a bath and body vendor in Mississippi. We also attend several design/ jewelry expos and markets annually and what sets our candles apart are the gems, crystals, and stones we put on each candle container/pillar and incorporating states with the good memories familiar to the people that live in them. We will also be expanding the Tree of Life and the Culture Eternal States Series candles selection by demand. We will continue to attend these diverse expos and market places to bring the finest quality products home to the client. We really look forward to opening our own gallery with a multimedia showcase of several types of art and tons of candle options. Also, who wouldn’t love to attend classes at the World Congress Supplies Trade Show…a little start-up can dream haha.
5. What are some products you use from Natures Garden; what are your favorite products from Natures Garden? We have whole signature candle collections from Natures Garden Fragrance Oils and wicking supplies; especially fragrances like Kudzu. The supplies are wonderful, but as important as quality materials are– the camaraderie, epic list of resources and opportunity to be able to advertise, meet other vendors, and see other amazing creations coupled with actually being able to put a face to the name are what really set Natures Garden apart from other suppliers.
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/VHSBCC
Twitter: in the works
Blog: We have a blog on the fifth tab of our site, we update it with videos, how to’s/a little R&D and cool artifacts and info pertaining to the wine and candle industry.
YouTube Channel: YT videos on the blog, VHSBCC account and videos in the works
Thanks for this wonderful opportunity, we are most grateful. We hope we have made you proud J
~Jason & Shannon Hancock