1. What’s your name & Your Company Name: Caryn Stockwell, Second Star Designs
2. Why did you decide to go into business? What was your motivation? How long have you been in business? I have been a professional seamstress and clothing designer for over 20 years, starting and closing a number of companies over the years. In 2008, at the behest of a local store, I launched Second Star Designs with my line of children’s clothing – providing quality products that my customers could afford; clothing that could be handed down generation after generation instead of ending up in landfills. In 2011, my skin developed a sensitivity to certain chemicals and fibers. This led to the creation of clothing produced using only natural fibers and eventually, only organic materials. This sensitivity increased to a point wherein I even became sensitive to the chemicals found in commercially produced body products.
In 2012, out of concern for the environment and the toxins used in the majority of the products found on the store shelves, I created an organic healing salve for use in our home. I shared this new product with friends and family. Those using this salve responded with excitement over its healing properties, asking where they could purchase it in bulk. Within a few short months, four stores in the Portland/Vancouver Metro area were carrying my healing salve and requesting additional products along similar lines. These requests led to my Barista Blend lip balms, Aromatic Tub Teas, and organic MP soap bars, which were released in December 2012.
With the onset of 2013, I was accepted as an Official Designer for Fashion Week San Diego. The organizers were interested in both my organic, bio-friendly adult clothing line and my small line of organic body products; asking me to bring both product lines to San Diego this coming Fall. In the meantime, I was receiving requests from stores to add additional products to the body products line. Always willing to try something new, I created my first loaf of cold process soap toward the end of January. Much in the same way that one tattoo leads to another, one loaf of soap has led to another and another and another … with people wanting to purchase bars of soap simply from seeing photos posted on my Facebook Fan Page.
In the last three months, I have discovered a new passion in the creation of organic body products; products that we personally love to use. In addition to the soaps, healing salve, and tub teas, I have added a number of organic products that consist of 98% to 100% organic ingredients, packaged in recyclable/biodegradable packaging.
3. What products do you make and sell? I have a line of clothing for infants and children. I am designing and manufacturing a line of bio-friendly adult clothing. Under the raison éthique™ by Second Star Designs label, I have added a line of organic body products to my repertoire: CP soap, lip balms, tub teas, scented bath salts, chocolate solar salts, healing salve, capsaicin cream, whipped body soufflés, massage oil lotion bars, foaming liquid hand soap, bath truffles, and glycerin soap. In the next two months, along with creating our own glycerin soap base, we anticipate offering massage oil candles which will be hand-crafted using a proprietary blend of GMO-free, non-soy, vegetable wax.
4. What are your business goals? We are hoping to grow both business divisions into self-supporting entities providing wonderful products that our customers’ skin will love to live in.
5. What are some products you use from Natures Garden; what are your favorite products from Natures Garden? I use a number of essential oils from Natures Garden; my favorites being their Natural Vanilla Infusion. I have also recently discovered that NG carries a number of oils, butters and clays that are difficult to find anywhere else … which I plan on adding to my shopping list.
Your Website: http://www.secondstardesigns.com
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/2ndStarDesigns