1. What’s your name & Your Company Name: Hartley House Candle Company
2. Why did you decide to go into business? What was your motivation? How long have you been in business? Looking back on how this journey began is sort of interesting. I suppose a piece of Hartley House Candle Company has always been with me in one way or another.
Nearly twenty years ago, I was away with a good friend of mine on a cabin camping trip. On one of our day adventures, we happened upon a small country candle store. Shelves upon shelves, bins upon bins of candles! Votives, pillars, tea lights, tapers, jars…it was a scent lover’s paradise! I was in awe! I remember filling trays with votives, determined to sample as many as I could not knowing if/when I’d get back there. I used those votives so sparingly because I enjoyed them so much I didn’t want to get to the last one. Nearly ten years later, my passion for candles was firmly rooted. I hid them in my dorm room, I made sure I always had several I loved in my small apartment, etc. I was thrilled to supplement my teaching income working in a local Yankee Candle store, taking full advantage of the associate discount! Then I met my husband, stopped teaching and entered into the corporate world, my means of relaxing was a soft smelling candle and warm bath. Soon after buying our house and getting engaged, we discovered our first little baby was on the way. While being a wife & mother will always be my greatest joy and truest accomplishment, I am almost sad to admit I felt something missing from my personal life. I have a wonderful group of friends, family that is genuinely amazing (on both sides) and a supportive loving husband. So, what was my problem?! Only now do I know the answer. I have always been a creative person. I love reading, writing, crafting and what was missing was that “just for me” time. Everything I did was because I was someone’s wife, daughter, sister, mother, employee, friend. But what was I doing for me? I confided in my husband many times. It wasn’t that I was unhappy. I certainly was not. I just felt like there had to be more. I started scrap booking but didn’t enjoy it much. I tried other crafts, sewing, crocheting , etc but it just wasn’t my thing. I made a few projects around the house and was proud that I crafted something that brought happiness and beauty to our home. Then I asked my husband for a candle making kit because I wanted to try my hand at a genuine hobby I found intriguing. Immediately, upon first pour, I was hooked! I adore the process of selecting scents, molding, etc. This candle making was quickly my mental break from being everyone else’s somebody. When we decided to turn my passion over to a business venture, my only caveat was that it had to be all mine. I would craft my own candles, not resell other’s work. I would add scents to the shop and form relationships with my ‘customers.’ I suppose technically I opened shop 6 months ago (October 2012) and since then I have met amazing people, refined my craft and found myself in ways I didn’t even know I was missing. I will forever be grateful for this journey of self-discovery and for my loyal customers who bring me such joyous pride; that humble ol’ me could make candles they enjoy as I did mine from that little country candle shop!
3. What products do you make and sell? Hartley Candle Company sells container candles (mason jars, keepsake jars, balmoral jars, aluminum tins), tealights, pillars, votives, and a growing number of shaped candles.
4. What are your business goals? Here at Hartley House Candle Company, I believe that beautiful, aromatic candle products can be crafted with love and consideration for our health & well being, as well as with an earnest respect for our environment. Hartley House is committed to producing high-quality candle products with integrity, using healthy materials that are conscious of both physical and mental well being as environmentally sound. My goal is to continue to grow in my trade and offer the best candle products to the candle loving market!
5. What are some products you use from Natures Garden; what are your favorite products from Natures Garden? I love Nature’s Garden products. Currently I use a variety of the fragrance oils including Sangria Punch and Basil Sage & Mint which are two of my most well-loved scents! I also use the Reed Diffuser Base, aluminum tins and rattan reeds for products offered in my shop.
Your Website: www.etsy.com/shop/hartleyhousecandleco
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/hartleyhousecandlecompany