Venturing into the wide, wild world of DIY cosmetics can be a venture in and of itself. You likely find yourself spending many hours searching the web for DIY cosmetics recipes, classes, and product ideas; becoming inspired by other people in the cosmetics industry. Keeping up-to-date with cosmetic trends and product innovations can be a daunting job for you.
In order to minimize the time you spend searching for relevant cosmetic sites, I have created a list of the most reputable and informative cosmetics blogs online. These sites will allow you to see what is hot in the cosmetics industry, what types of packaging companies are using to promote their products; some of these blogs even provide DIY cosmetic recipes.
If you’re new to cosmetics blogs, I can assure you there are plenty of resources out there.
That’s why I’ve searched them to bring you the best of the best. Actually, I support them so much that I made a badge for them to display and be recognized as the Top Cosmetics Blog online. The numbers and order below don’t reflect any ranking; truly these blogs are all wonderful, informative resources you are sure to enjoy. Visit these blogs for free cosmetic recipes, for insight in the cosmetics industry, and for inspiration for your own DIY cosmetics product line.
Best Cosmetics Blogs
1. Huda Kattan – Learn how to enhance your natural beauty with this Hollywood trained celebrity artist, and natural beauty herself, Huda Kattan. An award winning blogger based out of Dubai, a few minutes on her page will show you why her blog has been viewed in over 100 countries and influences women daily. Check her out and learn the secrets of Hollywood celebrity makeup.
2. Kate – A licensed cosmetologist, Kate has been doing hair since high school. She also loves makeup, jewelry making, cooking, and fashion. Read her reviews on makeup products, tutorials, and tips and tricks to make getting ready easier and far more glamorous from someone who has been a pro at it for decades.
3. Jessica Teas – If you don’t already love Jessica for the sheer fact that she left her start-up job for an around the world honeymoon, then you will after you read her blog. Posting from “wherever she happens to be,” at the given moment, take a global view of makeup from someone with a real eye for it.
4. Amy Nadine – This duo of ladies has created some bombshell content bringing hair and makeup to live happily-ever-after on The Beauty Department. Amy confesses to loves to teach makeup as much as she loves to play with it on celebrities like Lauren Conrad. Watch her videos or read her tips and tricks on how to recreate your favorite celebrity look.
5. BackyardBeauty.com – This is a truly inspiring source for natural beauty fanatics with an author that believes, “everything you need is truly in your backyard.” Boasting all natural ingredients with loads of recipes, she will guide you through beautiful uses for beets, to making your own primer on a dime. She also reviews that natural makeup companies and helps you define their hard-to-pronounce ingredient list.
6. Karen – Karen is a freelance writer that has a true love for makeup and her cat. She shares amazing tutorial videos, and tips and advice for every category of beauty. From eyes to nails, she’ll even walk you through the best drugstore makeup versus breaking the bank at cosmetic counters.
7. Krishna – After suffering with acne and depression, Krishna decided to put some feel-good energy into some beauty tutorials and turned her life (and skin) around. Browse her site for some wonderful ideas for healthy, natural skin products and makeup. She wants to share what she has learned so no one has to suffer the way she did. Thanks for the inspiration Krishna.
8. Alex Ray – Alex Ray has a sweet voice to her writing, describing herself as an “almost hippie,” and hopes she can help her readers achieve the same status. She’ll help you learn how to remove the toxins from your beauty routine and whether to buy or create your own natural cosmetics.
9. Dawn Michelle – Dawn wanted to be a journalist but didn’t want to compromise her professional dancing career. She satisfied her journalistic longings by creating her blog. A great deal for readers, Dawn has worked as a consultant for one of the world’s largest beauty retailers, and isn’t shy sharing her tips with her fans. Her natural recipe section will keep you busy, with hair care, skin care, nail care and more, you will be discovering uses for household items you once took for granted.
10. NoMoreDirtyLooks.com – A delightful duo, these two beauty experts know the truth behind misleading cosmetic labels. With regular public speaking gigs and media interviews, these ‘clean beauty experts,’ are happy to share their love for luxurious, responsibly-made, and effective cosmetics. If you love their blog, stop and buy their co-authored book, “No More Dirty Looks: The Truth About Your Beauty Products and the Ultimate Guide to Safe and Clean Cosmetics.”
11. Michelle Phan – Watch her exquisite tutorial videos and be inspired to try a new look. She’ll also teach you how to look good walking in heels while wearing a pore strip across your nose. Michelle knows beauty, but she also knows her share of fashion and loves to share trends and style tips.
12. BeautyHigh.com – Even the all-natural girls will find swoon-worthy reads on Beauty High. From seasonal trends to tips on natural styling, Beauty High has every girl in mind. With an ever-growing audience it’s no wonder their content is spreading globally, empowering women to achieve beauty more simply and more affordably.
13. Kat – She may be 20, but this girl knows her stuff! A self-taught makeup artist now attending cosmetology school, Kat will save you hundreds from the salon in teaching you how-to color your hair at home, and make your skin spa-worthy with reviews of her favorite products to use at home. Her site in still up-and-coming, but show her some support to keep her reviews and ideas coming.
14. Cara – This beautiful mommy has a love for all things beautiful, including showing women their true beauty. Allure’s beauty blogger of the year, Cara’s beauty index will keep you scrolling and scrolling…and scrolling. She also has wonderful hair tutorials and an incredible section of celebrity looks, where she successfully transforms her look in to dozens of your favorite celebrities.
15. TheVanity - If you don’t know your way around the beauty counter, browse the articles of ‘The Vanity,” and you’ll be a well-versed beauty product expert. She shares her personal beauty regime, personal product preferences, and her honest reviews on cost and quality. A great place for the unsure shopper, or those looking for an honest review before investing in the risk.
16. Natalie – Though she’s not a professional, Natalie knows her way through the beauty aisles. She’ll share what to buy, and what to save your money on from makeup to hair products. She encourages local shopping, where possible, but will help you find products you are sure to love.
17. Hannah – When she’s not busy studying law, Hannah likes to “hoard, stash, and collect,” beauty products. Her shopping is to our benefit because this girl can shop…and write! What started as a hobby has now turned into one of her biggest passions, and her content has expanded to include makeup tips and tricks, product reviews, nails, hair, and body care. Maybe she can be a beauty attorney, or at least she’ll look good in court.
18. Sarah – Sarah is on a series quest: to prove that makeup products should be affordable for every girl and she is going to show you how they can be. This budget-savvy college student loves to share her favorite deals and steals, from beauty secrets to trendy pieces at bargain prices.
19. Anne-Marie – Anne-Marie sees the face as an artistic canvas to highlight every woman’s unique qualities of beauty. She shares transformation photos of lucky ladies fortunate to be made over by her talent, along with the products she used to achieve the look. Learn the products and the tips to achieve the look you love from real, everyday women.
20. Betzy – Betzy shares her exciting daily life as a 20-year-old turned makeup PR personnel through her blog. With frequent inquiries to write reviews for products, she also finds frequent invitations in the mail to major cosmetic events. When she’s not doing makeover sessions, studying, or working, she’s updating her blog to share her expertise of all things beauty.
21. Christina – Christina admits that her makeup junkie ways started way back when she was 14 and her mom took her to a Clinique counter. Though she admits she could have bought a house with the money she’s spent on makeup and skincare, we’ll just say it was a good investment to her unquestionable knowledge of all things beauty. With an ever-growing blog audience, she now has several contributing writers that help her keep an honest look at celebrity looks, while offering humor and professional expertise.
22. Ashley Marie – This Etsy shop mama of two loves all things creative and homemade. Her passion lies in creating with her spunky daughter, and anything knit, drawn, painted, sewn, or mixed. She will share all of her mommy secrets, along with natural recipes for makeup remover and lip balm. If you’re not feeling crafty, click over to her Etsy site and support this stellar mom by buying her goods without having to make a mess of your own.
23. DIYMakeup.com – Visually stimulating is an understatement for this one. The beauty tutorials that could get you through a 3-day weekend with no distractions. There is definitely plenty here to freshen up your look if you’re feeling adventurous or creative. A beauty bible is something I’ve never seen on a site, with hair and nails to go right along with it.
24. Nicole – Nikki’s award page is almost as long as her blog scroll! This self-taught beauty addict splits her time between freelance makeup work and blogging. She shares her tips, tutorials, and product reviews to help you learn how to achieve the latest looks.
25. BeautyAndBlog.com – This site is for all things girly for the “BnB gal-pals,” as they so affectionately call their followers. They share all the tips and secrets to a thrifty makeover, as well as how to make your own luxurious face masks. If that doesn’t hook you, they also do frequent product giveaways to their loyal fans.
26. PearlsNHeels.com – Her blog is a fun spin on the makeup lovers palette. A graphic arts student, she hopes to land a career in makeup (of course) focusing on branding, packaging, and advertisement. In the meantime, she’ll share her splurge or save reviews on the expensive beauty products we all love, and teach you how to recreate magazine worthy looks.
27. DesiGirlsBeauty.com – A Journalist turned PR consultant, she started her blog for a place to write about what she loves. Written for desi girls, she shares her honest reviews on high-end to budget beauty products as the average consumer. She shares great photos to go along with her detailed descriptions of self-trials. Oh, and she does giveaways for her readers, and encourages them to join in the conversation.
28. AnIndiansMakeupMusings.com – Though she loves referring to herself as “Indian girl,” this blog is definitely not limited to its audience. Her blog combines her love for celebrity styles and fashion, to makeup trends and styles, and somewhere in-between her daily life and love for food. Stay on your toes and read along to follow this sweet and savory blog.
29. Amy Dillon – Born and raised in Dublin, Amy is no stranger to the beauty world. Her mom, dad, and grandmother are all hairdressers, and she developed a love for helping people feel confident and beautiful. An accomplished makeup artist, and painter, Amy shares her passion for art mostly via YouTube videos and tutorials on her blog.
30. Bailey Rose – As certified Makeup Artist, Skincare and Fragrance Specialist, Bailey has learned the ins and outs of the beauty industry. Her more recent venture includes discovering and promoting all-natural products, and her belief in their overall benefit for beauty and health. She’ll teach you the importance of natural and organic, and then help you choose the brand that is as environmentally friendly as beautifully effective.
31. Janine – An army wife from Germany, this South Carolina transport is a mommy that loves fashion, beauty, and blogging. She offers fabulous tutorials for looks that make you want to play dress up all day long. Enjoy her vast knowledge of beauty products and fashion, from Germany to the U.S.
32. DoTerraBlog.com – If you like the thrill of making your own products, this blog is absolutely heaven in website form. To name a few, hard-hand lotion, body butter, and baby wipes are more recent posts that make you want to scrap your store list and start rolling up your sleeves. Oh, did I mention it’s all natural based recipes with ingredients you probably already have in your home? You’re welcome.
33. Sunny – With over a decade of being vegan under her belt, Sunny is pretty well expert-status worthy of animal friendly products, including makeup. She hopes to break the stereotype of ‘stinky hippies,” and show the world that vegans can still be absolutely girly and have lots of fun, without the expense of animals suffering. She’ll educate you on makeup and skincare products that are animal-friendly, so you don’t have to do the research.
34. SimpleLifeMom.com – This mom’s quest to a “simple life,” is enough to make you re-evaluate yours. Inspired by a desire to simplify the ingredients her family eats, she has also taken a look at the effect our food choices have on allergies, and how we can use plants as medicine. Learn how to make your own soap, and educate yourself on the toxins that sneak into our everyday routines.
35. Penny – Penny shares how to live a rich life on minimum wage, because she’s done it. She’ll share budget saving tips you have never ever heard of to help you squeeze more out of every penny. She’s a homemaking-mom that knows how to make a dollar work for her.
36. Amy – Amy is one savvy-20-something, newlywed gal. She shares all things frugal, crafty, and tasty on this darling blog that will have you bookmarking ideas left and right. With a whole section on homemade makeup and sustainable living, you can’t resist trying one of her recipes.
37. Robin – Robin simplifies healthy living down to: eating real food, moving your body, and living toxic free. Not only is her approach simple, so are her recipes. Homemade mascara with four ingredients? Yep. Her site might tell you to thank your body, but I think we should thank her.
38. EcoEtsy.com – Eco Etsy is a sensational culmination of Etsy artists that have come together to dedicate themselves to reducing, reusing, and recycling. If that’s not admirable enough, they also share their secret recipes, like vegan mascara and vegan cake mascara, to their loyal readers. Read blogs from different artists that use different mediums and styles to inspire your next project, or just to learn how to reduce your carbon footprint.
39. TheGloss.com – Fashion, beauty, and feminism meet offbeat wit in a wildly successful culmination of talent in this blog. With a voice behind every article, and some pop-culture education, this blog isn’t for the lighthearted, or otherwise easily offended reader. Learn how to make your own makeup or read about the royal wedding. There’s plenty of content to get you lost in.
40. Nicole – A professional coffee drinker, Nicole’s biggest frustration is her interest in almost everything. Her readers don’t seem to mind, Nicole offers makeup tutorials and recipes to try at home that will keep dollars in your pocket and teach you how to covet smoother feet.
41. FashionIndie.com – Not for the slim wallet, fashion indie will definitely inspire your wardrobe and your next shopping trip. For the die-hard trendsetters, this site will keep your look together from head to toe. Categories to cover the most lavish lifestyle, don’t forget to stop by the giveaway tab to score some freebies.
42. Heather Crosby – Heather is dedicated to sharing the benefits of a plant-based diet and lifestyle with her readers. Honestly, she had me at blush made out of beets. How fantastic is that? Even better, double the recipe and make some lip gloss while you’re at it. Heather will leave you inspired to live a happier, healthier life.
43. Marie Rayma – Though she’s left her titanic fan site behind, her talent with graphics and design have inspired her to share her labor-intensive hobbies with her lucky readers. Marie has a true knack for all things thrifty and crafty. You can peruse her categories to pick out recipes for hair, body, skin, makeup, and soap. Tried and tested, she’ll share all her tutorials with her so you can make yours perfect the first try.
44. Jill – Jill openly shares her story of recovering from addiction as the path that guided her to her blog. She has certainly found her passion through her dedication to a healthier, happy lifestyle. She shares her recipes, projects, crafts, and (my favorite) her homemade solution section.
45. Emily – Emily is a health researcher and writer ready to teach us readers a thing or two about what we think we’re putting in our bodies. She focuses primarily on educating readers on “what to eat and what not to eat,” she also shares random tidbits of a hippie, and healthy, lifestyle to inspire your lifestyle too.
46. BodyUnburdened – A truly eye-opening blog, ‘Body Unburdened’ focuses on eliminating the toxins we put in our body everyday through environmental contact to the products we choose to use. Discover what products you may be using that are harming you and your body, and learn about healthy, non-toxic alternatives for a better peace of mind.
47. Tiffany – Tiffany is a real food mama that shares her journey through babies and learning a real food lifestyle. She focuses primarily on the use of coconuts, from oils to flours, and shares her recipes for delicious meals and healthy products. Shop her page to support her writing, and learn about the benefits of reading the ingredients.
48. Britanie Faith – Britanie is an organic and natural beauty advocate, green makeup artist, photographer, herbalist and health and wellness enthusiast. As if that doesn’t fill her day-to-day, she also regularly contributes to magazines such as Lucky and Organic Beauty Talk. She reviews products, and also shares how to make your own makeup, like homemade eyeliner using two ingredients.